*This blog post was written August of 2017 and was never posted for some reason…
I told you guys back in May that I was reading only books by women of color from June to August. What can I say, but that it was an amazing and enriching experience. Reading books in different genres and categories by women of various races, ethnicities, and cultures opened my eye up to a world I previously was not as familiar with.
So many of these books were such a deeply enjoyable experience that I wanted to share the books I read with you guys. For an easier search of books that you may enjoy, I am breaking them down into categories and marking them with what genre they are. Red is romance, blue is fantasy, green is contemporary, and purple is historical.
- Money Hungry by Sharon G. Flake
- Spellbound by Janet McDonald
- American Street by Ibi Zoboi
- Hotlanta by Denene Millner and Mitzi Miller
- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
- I Believe In A Thing Called Love by Maureen Goo
- Fly Girl by Sherri L. Smith
- Sellout by Ebony Joy Wilkins
- The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
- The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
- The Wrath and The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
- An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole
- Romancing the Fashionista by K.M. Jackson
- Calling Her Bluff by Kaia Danielle
- Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichi
I really enjoyed most of these books and have decided this will be an annual thing. It has morphed my writing to me predominately reading books by women of color, not just in the summer, but year round.